11.22.2011

meet Ricoh

In January 2011 I was doing a mentoring with Angie Warren (Fly). She had just begun a journey to do some film shooting, and it had been on my mind too. I felt a twinge of wanting to go back to something more basic. No downloading. No post processing. But, at the time I had just invested a lot of money into my digital equipment for my business so I tucked those dreams of playing with film away. Film shooting kept entering my awareness, and I found myself more and more drawn to photographs shot on film. Now, don’t get me wrong, I love my digital camera. She is fantastic. She’s allowed me to grow quickly in technique because of the instant feedback, although I still have a long way to go to get where I want to be, but at least I’m somewhere which is better than nowhere (just keep shooting). ;) I will never give up digital. But, film would provide a variation on the medium for me. I feel like I tend to overshoot with digital because, well, it’s so easy to toss shots afterwards if they are duplicates (which happens most often). And, more than I’d like to admit, some shots fall to the wayside ending up on the external drive never to see the glory of print. I feel like film will give me a reason to slow down, to focus and to really consider each shot. I decided late this year that for Christmas I would save up for a 35mm SLR film camera. But, life had other plans. My car fell ill a few weeks ago and requires roughly $1000 in repair work. So, instead I asked for “Let’s Dance 3” for Christmas, because really, what would make me feel better about the whole thing than making a complete fool of myself?! :) This week at work a co-worker came up to me (mind you, I don’t mention photography at work, actually I don’t even tell anyone I am a photographer, but a few people have found out, and I certainly didn’t mention my Christmas list) she told me her husband had a camera with lenses and she would like to pass it on to me (he passed away earlier this year). Needess to say I was so grateful for this gift and her thoughtfulness. I would like to introduce you to the next leg of my journey in photography: Ricoh. Isn’t he handsome? Everytime I say the name it reminds me of that episode of Kind of Queens (“Do Ricco”)

 
I can’t wait to get to know him better.

1 comment:

  1. congrats, yay! enjoy krystle, i can't wait to see what comes from him :)

    ReplyDelete